Hello to everybody! As it usually happens – predicted breakdowns begin to come out. Repair of the cooling fan caught me at the hottest part of the season.
On 407 forums, they often write that cooling fan often breaks down, because of winters when all sorts of rubbish gets in and eats away the motor board. The price for a new one is not very humane. Therefore, I decided to fix it.
The fan itself is not as simple as it was set before. It does not have the concept of 1 and 2 speed-but there is a PWM signal that controls the speed of rotation.
I found the site — electrorefite, where the guys sell the boards, which were made and modified by themselves. They give a year warranty.
I will not describe the process of removal and installation, since there is a lot of information.
I only had to re-solder the brushes. Finally, I checked the work on the car.
But not without a fly in the ointment! When removing the fan itself – the air conditioner radiator was hit. I decided to rinse it with Karcher – and at the place where the motor contacted the radiator, the cells simply fell down. For now the radiator is working, but the question of replacing it will soon remind of itself. But while there are other things to spend money on, I decided to wait until it completely dies.
Since the purchase of the car, the fan worked only at max revs when the climate control was turned on. The reason for this was a not working ECU of the fan. I decided to change the ECU, I found out on the forum that now improved ECUs are installed (I also found replacement specialists there).
Reverse polarity protection.
Two powerful output transistor stages.
Improved heat sink and resistance to mechanical destruction due to a solid board on aluminum base.
Improved anti-corrosion protection due to silicone filling compound.
A brief result of work on the repair of a regular fan type ref: 1253.E4 (Peugeot & Сitroen (PSA) from 2002 to 2007).
Many times I was persuaded to install an alternative – a fake instead of its original one – I waited and found a great batch.
There are many advisers and “hungry” traders. I was tired of hearing about the shortage and popularity of this node, as a result of which the price varied from 180 to 350$.
During the search, I made a simple and reliable scheme.
And so the search was successful.
I bought a new board and work began.
Features that are present both in the given and in the original fan control schemes PSA:
Highly reliable microcontroller for use in the automotive industry and designed for temperatures from -40 to + 125°C.
Protection circuits against overcurrent.
The protection circuit against overheating.
The protection circuit against over-voltage and complete discharge of the battery at a lower voltage.
- The first sign of death of the fan brain is a significant need for power and voltage to spin the engine. It reached 16V and 25A. As a result, significant heating of the board.
- I bought the board without brushes. I soldered mine as donors for the new board. The new ones cost money, but mine were still normal.
- I cleaned and painted the fan casing for protection against aggressive environment. It took a lot of effort to solder the brushes to the new board. The power of the soldering iron should be at least 80W – the aluminum substrate is an excellent heat sink, which prevents heating.
Top right is old and rotten. New board is at the bottom. Here’s what happened. New fan with your own hands.
Here is a short post and my luck. Thanks to those who appreciated.
P.S. Smooth and safe roads to everybody!
Four years ago, there was a problem with the fan, it refused to work. I had to run it manually. Having smoked a few pages from internet, I realized that the brushes were stuck. On a warm summer weekend day I gathered my thoughts and disassembled the fan. The problem was exactly the same as with most – the brushes stuck. I cleaned, collected and forgot about the problem.
Just a month ago, I was driving along, all in my thoughts, suddenly the car threw a ‘stop sign’ on the dashboard… Fortunately, the temperature overboard was plus 7. I turned on the air conditioner, opened the hood – the fan was silent. I scrolled with hand — it started, so the old sore returned. A couple of weeks I drove with air conditioning on and “manual start of Carlson”, also an unpleasant squeak was added (the bearing dried up). It was impossible to go on like this. The price tag for a new fan was just inhumane, so I decided to pick again the old one.
The work took an hour and a half with smoke breaks. Disassembled, looked-brushes stuck, wear percent 60%, but in theory, another three years will run. The problem came out in another — oxidation of the board under the compound. It was not visible from the outside, but the fan didn’t develop full power. They threw a new board (with a new brush assembly) and the fan spun in full force. The bearing was washed, cleaned and oiled. The sleeve was also alive – just needed cleaning and oiling. In short, I am satisfied!
One year warranty.
Unfortunately, I didn’t take any photos of the new board, but they are on the site.